The kitchen space at Alder Commons is a community space that is available for Members to reserve for their own use, and for hosting a variety of open-to-the-public cooking and herbalism classes.
All kitchen programs are community-based, and run by those interested in hosting a program, or requested by someone interested in learning more about a certain topic. Our cooking and herbalism classes have included:
- Spice up your life: a joyful cooking series
- BIPOC Meal Share
- Medicine Making Gatherings
- Mighty Nourishing Soups
If you’re interested in hosting a workshop or class in the Alder Commons kitchen, please let us know!
The Alder Commons Kitchen is certified by both Multnomah County and the Oregon Department of Agriculture, which allows our Members to cook food on-site to be sold off-site. Though it is not a commercial kitchen, it is home to many commercial appliances and other cooking staple items including the following:
- 6 burner gas range stove and oven
- NSF steel top tables for cooking and processing
- Dishwasher and 3-basin wash sinks
- Foundational cooking tools like pots, pans, knives, cutting boards, cookie pans, etc.
- Other small appliances like blenders, standing mixer, instant pot, air fryer, and more!
- Staple cooking ingredients like oils, vinegars, spices, legumes, grains, baking, etc.