The kitchen space at Alder Commons is a community space that is available for Members to reserve for their own use, for outside community members to reserve as part of an event rental, and for hosting a variety of open-to-the-public cooking and herbalism classes.
The Alder Commons Kitchen is certified by both Multnomah County and the Oregon Department of Agriculture, which allows our Members to cook food on-site to be sold off-site. Though it is not a commercial kitchen, it is home to many commercial appliances and other cooking staple items including the following:
- 6 burner gas range stove and oven
- NSF steel top tables for cooking and processing
- Dishwasher and 3-basin wash sinks
- Foundational cooking tools like pots, pans, knives, cutting boards, cookie pans, etc.
- Other small appliances like blenders, standing mixer, instant pot, air fryer, and more!
- Staple cooking ingredients like oils, vinegars, spices, legumes, grains, baking, etc.
All kitchen programs are community-based, and run by those interested in hosting a program, or requested by someone interested in learning more about a certain topic. Our cooking and herbalism classes have included:
- Spice up your life: a joyful cooking series
- BIPOC Meal Share
- Medicine Making Gatherings
- Mighty Nourishing Soups
If you’re interested in hosting a workshop or class in the Alder Commons kitchen, please let us know!