Employment Status: Full-time
Alder Commons is a nonprofit community space where kids and adults alike can attend workshops and classes, and spend their time freely. Our Members include coworkers, artists, organizations, families, and self-directed learners of all ages. Members pay a sliding scale monthly fee. In exchange, Members unlock access to our facilities (kitchen, woodshop, co-working, playroom, etc), access to Members-only programs and events, and access to our online workspaces (slack, email lists, and online directory). Our goal is to foster a multigenerational, multicultural community that practices and promotes our Core Values of Self-Determination, Collective Liberation, and Community Support.
We’re looking for an Executive Director to strategically carry out Alder Commons’ mission:
Our mission is to cultivate an equitable, all-ages community of self-directed learners. We aim to reduce barriers between youth and adults of diverse backgrounds by providing an accessible and inclusive space for them to share knowledge and resources.
The Executive Director will be responsible for aligning the Organization’s operations with key metrics that target financial sustainability. You’ll manage a team of passionate people while serving an inclusive community of families, artists and small businesses.
- Strategic Planning
- Team Management
- Communication with Board of Directors
- Iterate staff documents, SOPs and guides
- Outreach to potential donors and maintain donor relationships
- Organize meetings and tours with potential funders including grantors and donors
- Organize fundraising events at local businesses and represent Alder Commons at relevant conferences and events
- Collaborate with Outreach Director to identify and author grants
- Use takeaways from Strategic Planning sessions to iterate on the strategic plan
- Incorporate key goals and metrics into the strategic plan
- Coordinate to align programs and grant schedule with strategic plan goals
- Lead and manage staff progress, goals, and responsibilities
- Maintain community presence and build community relationships and engagement with staff and Alder Commons members
- Work with staff to maintain and grow our collaborative, supportive work culture
- Prepare Monthly Board Updates document and presentations
- Share updates on operations, projects, staff and organizational finances
- Partner with Board of Directors to set and implement strategic direction
- Manage organizational budget including taxes, insurances, and staffing
- Handle bookkeeping and prepare financial reports; pay facilitators and contractors
- 5 years of experience managing nonprofit organizations
- 3 years of experience fundraising with individual donors for nonprofits
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work independently while being a team player
- Passionate about, and committed to practicing our Core Values
- Excited to spend time with people of all ages and backgrounds in a consent-based environment
- Professional or lived experience in mixed-age and/or multicultural environments
- Experience using or willingness to learn organizational tools and systems such as Google Drive/Suite, Slack and Google Analytics
- Experience with nonprofit strategic marketing and promotion a plus
If you have qualifications that might be considered unconventional or that don’t align with the description, we still strongly encourage you to share them with us. We celebrate and welcome people with different experiences and backgrounds.
- Unlimited Paid Time Off and Flexible schedule
- Enrollment in 401(k) retirement account
- Free Membership at Alder Commons
- Paid professional development opportunities
- One- to three-month unpaid sabbatical after three years of employment
We are taking precautions to reduce the spread of COVID at Alder Commons and in the greater community. Alder Commons Members collectively decided to adopt our COVID-19 Policy, which, as of August 29, 2023, includes the following:
- Requiring the use of masks indoors for anyone 2-years-old and older (masks not required outdoors)
- Maximum capacity for each room (20 people per large room, with exception for 30-person max for the lounge)
- Strongly encouraging, but not requiring, vaccines for Members
- Asking Staff and Members to self-isolate if they or anyone in their household is experiencing COVID symptoms, has tested positive, or has been exposed to someone with COVID
All Alder Commons Staff Members are required to provide proof of vaccination or a valid medical or religious exemption. This is an in-person role that will include close interactions with people of all ages and backgrounds. The vaccine requirement prioritizes the safety of both the Community Kitchen Manager and the larger community.
Alder Commons is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We especially encourage candidates from underrepresented racial, ethnic, religious, gender association, sexual orientation, economic, (dis)ability, and cultural backgrounds to apply. If you don’t have the listed qualifications above, but are passionate about the position, please consider applying anyway.
Feel free to contact us at 503-893-9366 or [email protected] if you have questions regarding this position or the application process.