Do you love Indian food? Are you looking for a flavorful, and relatively fast meal for yourself or the family? For our cooking workshop we are collaborating with Naveen Raja, owner of Mumbai Spice Company, a local Portland-based Indian spice purveyor. In this one and half hour lesson, he will teach you how to step by step make a delicious chicken biryani. Biryani is the catch all name for a spiced and layered rice dish. While this recipe is using meat, it can easily be adapted to vegetarian or even vegan.
For this workshop you will need a few essential Indian spices, Naveen sells his Indian spice starter kit for $16 shipped to your door. Use code ALDERCOMMONS for 10% off at checkout.
Chicken Biryani Ingredients
Can easily be adapted to vegetarian and vegan.
- 1 Lb bone in chicken thighs
- 1 Lb chicken drum sticks
- 2 cups full fat yogurt
- 2 cups of basmati rice
- 4 hard boiled eggs (we will do this in class)
- 1 large sweet white onion
- 1 medium sized cucumber
- 1 Mumbai Spice Company 7 Spice Starter Kit (use code ALDERCOMMONS for 10% off at checkout) *If you choose to use your own spices, we will use black mustard seeds, coriander powder, turmeric, red chili powder, cumin powder, and garam masala
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional - Saffron.
- One pan large - with lid preferred (you can use a plate if you need)
- One pot large - with lid preferred (you can use a plate if you need)
- Two mixing bowls
- Cutting board
- Sharp knife
RegistrationRegister via Zoom