Naveen Raja of Mumbai Spice Company will host a 1.5 hour Indian cooking lesson via zoom! This class will cover basic instruction of a vegetarian Indian dish. This class is for all skill levels and will highlight different regional cuisines of India.
We will be making a favorite of Naveen’s as a kid, chole and rice. Chole is a delicious and simple chickpea and tomato dish. It combines flavors of the Punjab region of India and is loved universally. It’s best served with fried bread but for this class we will walk through how to make beautiful and fluffy basmati rice. This dish is a sure crowd pleaser and we look forward to teaching it!
Please find the ingredients list below and if you are in need of spices please order Mumbai Spice Company’s Indian spice starter kit. Use code: ALDERCOMMONS at checkout for 10% your order.
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1” of ginger
- 1 green small chili like a serrano (optional)
- 1 lemon
- 2 TBSP Ghee (vegetable oil is okay)
- 1 14oz can of whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 14oz cans of chickpeas.
- 1 Large onion
The spices that follow are included in the starter kit!
- 2 tsp - Black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp - Whole cumin seed
- 2 tsp - Ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric
- 2 tsp - Garam Masala
- 2 cups of basmati rice (white or brown)
- 1 Medium sized pot
- 1 Medium - Large sized pan
- A cutting board
- A sharp knife
- Box grater or Food processor (optional)